All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pool Party... of Two
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:55 am 
US Marines

"I find that when I kiss you I tend to stop worrying about things like that, but it's still early on. Maybe I'll get finicky in my old age." He took the plates and gave her a wink. Taft had been hoping for a good night kiss too, though he supposed he'd hoped it'd go differently than it was now guaranteed to go. If she drank too much he'd let her use the guest room like the perfect southern gentleman he was.

Taft carried the plates into the dining room and set them down before stepping to the side and pulling her chair out for her. "You're seat, ma'am."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:35 am 
US Air Force

Why thank you, sir. She slid into the seat, smiling up at him. It shouldn't have surprised her how different a relaxed Taft looked, as compared to Taft in the mountain. He lost that scrinch on the outside of his eyes. They became more open, so the cool blue was readily seen. He had very nice eyes. Realizing she was staring, Fia looked away, busying herself with her napkin. Knows how to set a table AND hold out the chair for a lady. Maybe I should look up Mama Taft's address so I can send her a thank you note.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:24 pm 
US Marines

"Y'all are welcome," he drawled as he moved to take his seat. Taft got himself settled in, laid that backs of his hands on the edge of the table, and gave a significant look up for a long moment before putting his hands in his lap and looking at her. "Don't do that, she'll deduce where I'm at and I'll have a house guest before you know it. Wouldn't be a problem most of the time but I've recently found reason to revalue my home time." He gave her a smile and waited, figuring she would want to do her own prayer. He wouldn't be bowing his head but he could wait through it in silence and with a smile on his face.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:35 am 
US Air Force

Fia looked up from her napkin fiddling just in time to see him say grace, in his own manner. It touched her in a way that the instant rapport, the kisses, even the frank honesty had not. It was one thing to say you followed a particular religion, quite another to actually do so. The ease in which he acted made it obvious this ritual was second nature to him. It had not been for show, or to prove his belief, Taft was truly a man of faith.

He continued on smoothly, talking about his mother, but Fia only half heard it. She was just coming to the realization that they were far more alike than she had thought. Every relationship she had ever had had floundered on one of two points. When she found a man of faith, he could not reconcile her loyalty to the service. When she found a soldier, he didn't respect her faith. Yet here was Taft, a different flavor of the same mix that made up her being. He would understand. The idea was wondrous and more than a little terrifying.

With a start she realized he had stopped talking. The implied compliment made her chuckle, though it sounded a bit shaky, even to her. She too, rested her hands on the edge of the table, her fingers entwined, though not before she noticed they were trembling. Closing her eyes, she bowed her head and took a beep breath. Gathering her thoughts took a moment more. Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord. She prayed silently, only saying Amen out loud.

When she look up again, there was a new light in her eyes. She laid her hand on the table, palm up, in invitation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:36 am 
US Marines

Taft carefully waited until she closed her eyes, then another heartbeat to make sure she wouldn't peek, then snagged a glob of cheese from his plate to pop into his mouth while she talked to her deity of choice. His blessing was already done, after all, but he made sure to look completely innocent by the time she looked back up. "A man? You asking for a man? You already got one." He set his napkin across one leg, as opposed to in his shirt which he would have done if wearing a uniform. He kept an extra couple of sets at work just in case but changing pants was a lot quicker than moving all his pins and what not over to a new shirt. Fork, knife, and he was chewing an absolutely delicious mouthful of lasagna.

"Yeah," he said when he was done with that bite. "You've definitely got yourself a man."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:33 am 
US Air Force

While Fia had no doubts that the lasagna had turn out well, it pleased her to see him enjoying it. She didn't expect the eating part to last long. Both of them were used to eating on the go, even now she had to make a concentrated effort so take it slow. But then that could be said for several things this evening. As she cut into her own piece, she smiled over at him. I do? Maybe you should introduce us. I would hate to think I am keeping him waiting.

She took a bite of her own, washing it down with a sip of wine, a teasing smile on her lips the entire time. As she shifted slightly, her foot brushed up against his. It surprised her to find he was a barefoot as she. She hadn't been paying attention to his feet. Now she found herself resting her toes on his, enjoying touching him even this little way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:36 am 
US Marines

He was about three bites in before she got halfway through her joke and realized he was eating like he was alone, or in a mess hall and running out of chow time. Taft made a conscious effort to stop eating like a soldier, especially since she seemed to already have done so, and sat up to consider her teasing. "Sgt. Major David Alexander Taft, United States Marine Corp. Marine Raiders Regiment, Second Battalion. Always Faithful, Always Forward, ma'am." Taft reached out and laid his hand in the one she'd left outstretched (if it's still there after she's done using them for the praying and eating. He certainly didn't move away from the touch of her foot, either.

And then Taft sadly realized he'd run out of non-work related topics to chat about. He didn't want to bring up the office, she was a lifer but there were few people who lived and breathed the job the way he did. He'd been told before by a woman of interest that he was far too fascinated with his duties and he wanted Fia to continue to like him, so he ate in silence for several long moments. Enjoying the nearness but racking his brain for things to talk about when she showed signs of wanting to fill the silence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:13 am 
US Air Force

Faithful and Forward, Think I like the sound of that. Fia knew very well that was the Marine Raiders motto, but given the tone of the evening, it was fitting. He certainly left little doubt that they were a 'thing', though somehow she just could think of Taft as a boyfriend. The word just carried to much... youth and inexperience. Not something Taft was burdened with. Beau was too refined. Lover was ... not yet. Once again he was defying classification. Fia chuckled and give his hand a gentle squeeze before releasing it so she could eat.

I had been meaning to ask you. She said, cutting of another piece of lasagna with her fork. What do you think of Colonel Sumner's push to get us to upgrade the P90's to MP7's. He's been gaining some ground with it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 am 
US Marines

"Thought you would," he grinned to himself as he managed to slow down his aggressive eating by only using his fork instead of fork and knife. Also, making sure enough time passed between lasagna and salad while also alternating bites of the two. That created a proper buffer and just like that he'd created a tactical solution to his problem. So, Sgt Major Taft had a woman again. That was nice, and it was one that he wanted rather than some half crazed one not taking the hint when he didn't show them any attention back. That was a real problem in the military sometimes.

"I've not been paying much attention to it. His reasons are personal and so they don't interest me, and I say they are personal because there isn't really much to recommend an MP7 over a P90. If he was looking for a real upgrade he'd be behind the M4 for a tried and true design or the XM8 for a newer design. In fact, there's a couple of designs utilizing 7.62 rounds that deserve a crack at the title if we're really looking for a replacement weapon system. In the end, though, unless we're doing stealth work I'm gonna be sticking to the shotgun."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:34 am 
US Air Force

Shotguns certainly have their uses. Fia chuckled. Loud, powerful, and they got the job done, she could certainly see the allure in that. Not the mention there was a bit of symmetry between the man and his choice of weapon she found humorous. She found herself surprisingly full, and leaned back with a satisfied sigh. Swirling the wine in it's glass she took a sip, enjoying the mellowing effect it had on her.

I haven't had much playtime with the XM8. What is it like? Fia abstractedly traced her toes up and down the arch of his foot as she spoke, unintentionally playing footsie.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next