All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pool Party... of Two
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:11 am 
US Marines

"And then you find said appreciation in an old Marine. Ironic." Taft cleverly sidestepped her volley, leaving her verbally over extended and open to an attack that he never took. He didn't need to, she was smart enough to know what had just happened. Airforce and Navy were the ones who competed against one another most of the time, the Marine Corp tended to pretend that the Army was a suitable challenge so that the Army wouldn't feel left out.

He remained still. Taft wasn't going to push her away because they'd stumbled into a conversation. She attended weekly heathen rituals? No problem, he attended his more civilized pagan rituals, respecting the Sabbats and Esbats (when he had a coven to work with) as they came around. Ritualized behavior in her day to day life? Again, not a problem. He did the same and in much the same manner if perhaps the wording and pose differed. Through all of that he had a slowly growing smile, nodding his head in a gesture of 'not a problem, doesn't bother me'. He even started to continue that ongoing process when it suddenly registered on him. Chastity.

Chastity.

Like a nun? No, that was celibacy. She meant she wasn't going to have sex until she was married. Well, that was less insane but only in so much as going to a real doctor was less insane than going to a field medic. Neither was desirable but one was less likely to end in disaster than the other. He blinked and looked at her solidly enough that it should be obvious exactly -what- his one word question was referring to. "Why?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:46 am 
US Air Force

She wasn't sure which was more disconcerting. The frank appreciation in his gaze, which caused her to blush even in the heat of the tub, or the question. Why? No-one had ever asked. The talk usually resulted in an immediate cool-down, or a fake acceptance. Most men seemed to have the ingrained idea that they, unlike every other male on the planet, were irresistible. They hated to be proven wrong.

But Taft had asked, and for that act alone he deserved the unvarnished truth. The church explains it through Original Sin and our Fallen Natures, but it is more than that. At least to me it is. The love of a husband and wife should be the greatest love there is on this plane. A beautiful union of souls that will require understanding, patience, and even sacrifice. If I should ever marry, I will only do so once. I want to be sure that it is the right one.

I won't deny that desire plays a strong part in bringing two people together, look where I am sitting.
The blush from his gaze flowed seamlessly into her blushing at frankly discussing sex. Desire, like 'being in love', ebbs and wanes. It is not something to build a lifetime commitment on. I want to know that he is more than 'in love' with me, that he loves me for all of me. My heart, my soul... and he will continue to.

So.. why not indulge the body and see if it grows into lasting love? Believe me, I've thought a lot about this one. Firstly, I know me. As I am now, I am not sure I can separate the two. Not anymore. Secondly, I only truly own one thing, my body, and I am choosing to save it as a gift for the person I will vow to love forever.

I know all this is so ... illogical.
Fia's smile was hesitant, even apologetic. But it is what I believe, how I feel. And it is only fair, that you know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:23 am 
US Marines

He listened to every word of it without interrupting, no matter how much he wanted to at times. This was about a belief, an ideal, not a logical train of thought that had brought her to a tactical decision. She even stated that it didn't make sense, there at the end. And so Taft had to sit there, in silence, absorbing and digesting all that she had presented for his consideration. She deserved that much because... he really did care for her. She'd done nothing but right in his eyes, to that point. He desired her, felt the desire beyond that just to see her happy, and could feel the ache in his chest that came with the suspicion that he wasn't going to get to be the one who made her so.

Taft kept running into mental impasses as he attempted to follow her thoughts to where she'd gotten, to see how a person he'd begun to think of as very much like himself would do things that were counter productive to her stated goals. His thoughts desperately searching for a way to be what she wanted even as it guaranteed that short of complete dumb luck that Taft would hurt her. The very concept of that, of him being the cause of her hurt, anathema to his thoughts -and- feelings. Of course, on the outside it just looked like Taft, thinking very hard. "I... I track some of this. Husband and Wife, perfect love and perfect trust. Understanding, yes!" he said the affirmative word with intensity rather than a change in volume. "But if you keep something from each other, if you leave one another in ignorance, how can you know?"

"And don't mistake this, I'm not saying that you should sleep with me. Ever, really. I'd want you to make that decision when you feel it's right. Minutes, hours, days, months... hell, even years from now if all else was going right. But if you intend to only marry once..." Taft appeared to grasp for the right words, for understanding even as he was forced to ask the question because he just didn't understand. "Why... how... could you enter into a marriage blinded to such an important part of marriage? Saving that until you're certain you love someone is one thing, and that makes perfect sense, but waiting until you're tied to them forever is like... playing Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber. You're gambling on a very slim chance that one or both of you aren't going to end up bored, disgusted, or miserable. Possibly for the rest of your lives."

He looked sad, but the angle of his head said it was directed inward. "I couldn't stand to be the cause of that kind of hurt, not to you."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:00 am 
US Air Force

"I couldn't stand to be the cause of that kind of hurt, not to you."

She had gotten so used to reading his little expressions, that the obvious sadness on his face cut straight to her heart. Ai, bello. Fia reached out, laying her hand along the curve of his cheek. There is no guarantee you will. That he worried so about hurting, rather than being hurt, made her wonder just who had done the leaving in his previous marriages. If he cared for her even a fraction of how he would have cared for them...

I may be overstepping here, and if I am I apologize. Fia started, her voice as tender as the touch on his cheek. I can only assume that you made love to your wives before marrying them. That you knew them, as you say lovers should, before taking vows. Were they the same people, sexually, at the end of your time together as they were at the beginning? Were they even the same people as the day you made them your wife?

There are so many important facets in a marriage, that you can't be sure of all of them. Even then relationships grow and change, the challenge part is making sure that you grow together. That you have the love, the trust, and the understanding to be able to work out what changes may arise. That is what I want to be sure of, that those foundations are there.
Fia chose her next words very carefully. It is my hope, that the man I marry will not only teach me the ways of lovemaking, but learn with me as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:52 am 
US Marines

Taft brought his eyebrows together as he did his best to translate what she'd just gibberished at him. "Did you just call me pretty boy?" He chuckled out the back end of the question to show that he wasn't offended, just fairly certain he had the right of it and was amused.

"Well... yeah. They'd both not been virgins for a while and figured out what they did and didn't like. Like I have. We learned the fine lines, the exact limits, and decided there was enough overlap... well, me and the second one did. First one was lying through her teeth the whole time, including during our vows, so who knows about the rest. Second one just got tired of always being apart and wanted back into the playing field." At least Wife no.2 had possessed the decency to wait until the divorce was final before jumping into bed with the fella she'd had her eye on. Small favors.

"I'm not saying sex is the end all, be all of a relationship. There's a lot more to it which is why I said the timeline leading up to it doesn't matter. But it's like an engine. Lots of part make up an engine. Some don't have to be perfect, others don't even have to be there, but there are some that are absolutely essential to the process. Of the absolutely essential parts, none are more important than the others but you have to have each of them or it just doesn't run... I'm comparing marriage to an engine." He ran his hand over his face.

"If the foundations are there, enough so that you would say yes if I were to offer marriage, then would it really matter if we shared that before we said I do?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:53 am 
US Air Force

Well, more 'Handsome' than 'Pretty'. Fia nodded, filing away the fact that he did indeed know some Italian. Sneaky man.

As Taft detailed his wives, Fia couldn't help feeling a bit bemused. The first one she just discarded as someone not worth her time. But the second, that was different. He spoke of her as if they had parted on amicable terms, but Fia couldn't bring herself to respect someone who would leave a serviceman because they were lonely. It was a story she had heard many times, and still it didn't sit well. But then, if Wife no.2's weakness meant Taft was sitting in a hot tub with a certain Captain, perhaps she could be forgiven.

Then he started talking engines, and it was all Fia could do to suppress the giggle in her throat. The man really had no idea how adorable he was. As he ran an incredulous hand down his face, she caught it with her own, letting their entwined fingers come to rest on his chest.

"If the foundations are there, enough so that you would say yes if I were to offer marriage, then would it really matter if we shared that before we said I do?"

Fia thought about that for a good long moment. First she had to process that they were talking marriage on a first date. No promises, just a 'What if' that seemed completely in the realm of possibility marriage. That was just... yeah.. ok... moving on. He seemed to understand what it was she felt she needed before she made that kind of commitment, as well as how long it could take to get there, if ever. Seen in that light, she wasn't so sure. It wasn't anything she had ever had to think about other than as an abstract idea before. As much as I would like to say yes, I couldn't give you a definitive answer until I was in it.

Now I am curious though. If the foundations are there, enough so that you would offer marriage, would it really matter if we said 'I do" before sharing that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 am 
US Marines

He tilted his head, his eyes flickering up in an indication that he was picturing something in his head. Likely himself in context of his following words. "We'll have to agree to disagree." He winked and moved on.

"That's fair enough," he replied when she said she couldn't know until the moment was upon her. Everybody, including him, had things that they could think about for years but wouldn't really know how they'd react until it was upon them. Her return question, however, wasn't one of those things. "No, it wouldn't. If I knew, with or without sex, I'd ask in a heartbeat. I'm not known for subtlety. But I'm not operating under the self-imposed issue of one and done marriage policies. Marriage doesn't likely carry the same note of finality in my mind that I imagine it does in yours." He had to be fair, a divorce wasn't the end of the world to him. He'd picked one and had one picked for him. The second time hurt him a great deal more than the first but he'd survived easily enough.

"So, under the terms of maybe we will and maybe we won't, I'm willing to see where things go." Yeah... not subtle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:29 am 
US Air Force

Finality wouldn't have been the word she had chosen to explain her views. Sanctity more like, but that was a quibble. He obviously understood how important it was to her, just as she could understand the practical view he held. That was a bridge they would hopefully never have to cross.

"So, under the terms of maybe we will and maybe we won't, I'm willing to see where things go."

Fia wasn't quite sure what just occurred, but she was going to call it a miracle. Somehow 'the talk' had happened and actually went somewhere meaningful. The newness of the situation left her more than a little giddy. Just so we are on the same page... She said, a hopeful grin on her face. Does this mean... I'll get to swim in the pool again?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 am 
US Marines

Taft suddenly seemed to seriously consider the question. Really really churn it over in his head. As if whether or not she got to use his pool again was in no way part and parcel with being his girlfriend. "I don't know, depends." He turned back to her with a serious look. If there was anything he'd learned from near two decades of service, it was how to keep time in his head accurately. "Have you burned the lasagna?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:36 am 
US Air Force

Fia was greatly enjoying the teasing banter they were developing, until what he actually said caught up to her. Crap! She shot out of his embrace, causing a great fwoosh of water, though she was back a fraction of a second later. Taking his face in her hands, she gave him a quick kiss. Thank you. With a flash of a smile, she was out of the tub.

She snagged one of the towels that had been laid out, drying off as she moved out the door. She really wished she could have stopped and enjoyed the warmth radiating from it, but there was no time. As she paused outside the back door to dry her feet, she could hear the timer going off inside. Brilliant of her to set it, then leave it in the kitchen, but she had been a bit distracted.

She wrapped the towel around her, tucking the end tightly around her chest, and padded her way through the glass doors. Nothing was smoking that she could see, and it certainly smelled delicious. She silenced the timer. Fia opened the oven door, and gingerly picked a corner the aluminum foil off one pan. Everything was bubbling away fine with no signs of burning.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next