All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 am 
Beta Site CMO

This was the first time that Claire had had a moment on her own since finding out she was pregnant. Well, a moment where she didn't have to worry about how she was going to tell Caleb, or what she was going to tell him. Her emotions were a tangled mess: excitement, trepidation, disbelief, worry about Caleb, and an unfettered joy dancing all over the top of everything else.

This day was something she had never dared dream about, much less prepare herself for, and now it had arrived, she had no idea how to feel, how to react. Having removed her own IV line - she was grateful that Carson hadn't asked a nurse to do it for her - Claire took a few deep breaths, perching on the edge of her bed, her mind mulling over myriad possibilities.

There was still a long way to go, though, before they were able to hold their child in their arms,and those months could be fraught with worry and danger. There was so much that could happen, so many things that could go wrong, but she couldn't think about that right now. All she could think about now was the life growing inside her, a life she would be able to feel within a few weeks, and the family that she and Caleb had inadvertently expanded.

Claire glanced up, smiling as Caleb tugged the curtain back, and asked if they were both ready to go. It sounded strange in her ears. "Yes, e te tau, I think we are," she murmured, reaching for his hand. "Let's go home."

-----------------------------

Their quarters were quiet, and Claire almost felt stifled after the hustle and bustle of the infirmary. Now that it was just she and Caleb, the weight of their news settled heavily on her shoulders, and she slumped down on their couch, elbows on knees, her eyes locked on Caleb.

"So... I guess we're having a family, e ipo," she said, her voice soft, not quite knowing what to say. She gave a quiet laugh. "What the fuck do we do now?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 am 
Royal Navy

The walk back to their quarters was the longest and shortest trek back he had ever made, anyone they passed – which was only about two people, everyone still being on shift at the moment – he thought they knew. Knew what the secret was that he was carrying around in his pocket, or rather what Claire was carrying around, he thought everyone would know just by looking at the two of them. He was use to people talking about him, but this was something completely different.

He had clutched that small picture that Beckett had given him in his pocket all the way back to their quarters, he had never once taken his hand off of it and it was the next best thing to being able to touch Claire once more. As the door finally swooshed closed behind them, he leant against the door as Claire plopped herself down on their couch, he ran a hand down his face.

It was quiet in their little home, after the noise of the last few hours or so, it was almost deafening and part of him wanted to turn right back around and go back to that. He could deal with being in the public at the moment, no need to have the serious conversations then, but the more he put off actually speaking anything to her, the harder it was going to be to start a conversation. Caleb had learned that the hard way when they'd been in Italy about the mishaps of not sharing with Claire, but damn if this wasn't a harder conversation to actually have.

At Claire's voice he ventured further into the room, throwing his jacket – that still made him feel like he was suffocating at the moment – onto the back of the couch. He'd normally be neater than that, store it properly but his mind wasn't exactly on to military precision at that moment in time. Looking at Claire, noticing the giant smile that was on her face, he couldn't help the fact that he felt his heart swell even more, this wasn't meant to be possible for them and yet here they were.

“I think.....I mean....we should...” he couldn't seem to find the right way to start speaking, everything kind of felt jumbled up in his head, he'd already said the wrong thing when he'd first found out about Bump, he didn't want to be putting his foot in it again.

He rubbed at the back of his head, he was going to end up with no hair there at all if he kept doing that, but he couldn't seem to find the words he wanted to say. He wasn't normally so speechless, normally had words for everything, regardless of whether it was a flirt or something sincere, he had words for every occasion....just not this one.

“Shit, Claire, I have no idea what we do,” he finally said, his nerves getting the better of him as he swore, he found himself leaning against the small table, arms cross over his chest, “Am terrified.” he finally admitted.

And he was, he had no idea what they were meant to do, how to carry on, whether he was going to be a good enough father to Bump. It was the one thought he could put into words, and sure he was excited about it as well, this was something good in a galaxy that liked to seriously dumped a lot of bad on your plate, this was something to be celebrated.

But he was terrified as well, he had never expected to become a father, and he was certain in his own mind he was going to mess up some way or another and find himself without Claire, without Bump. He found himself wanting to run from this, to bury his head in the sand for a breather, but he also found he wanted to stay right there, routed to the spot not move, watch and help as best he could.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire watched as Caleb leaned against the door, his expression unreadable. No matter how well she knew him, sometimes, she found him hard to read, found it impossible to know what was going on inside his head. She didn't mind, though. Their lives would be dull as shit without a little mystery. Sure, it was difficult sometimes when he didn't talk to her, didn't open up, but that was never for very long. He just wasn't naturally someone who could share his emotions, and Claire understood that.

She glanced to her right as Caleb's jacket landed on the back of the couch, close to her, and, for a moment, she thought he was going to join her. Right at that moment, she needed to curl up with him, to hold and be held, to be that little family unit that was about to grow. However, Caleb clearly wasn't ready for that yet.

Her eyes tracked him to the table, where he leaned, his expression looking as confused as he clearly mulled over her question about what they were going to do. Getting rid of the baby wasn't an option, and at least they were on the same page about the basics. But it was how they were going to move forward, both as a couple, and within the city, that they needed to think about now.

Their next obvious move was to talk to Elizabeth Weir, explain everything, and explain they were going to keep the baby. Whether or not she would allow them - or at least allow Claire - to remain on Atlantis, she didn't know, but it was a chance they would have to take. Given that she was already starting to show, and only had the grace of surgical scrubs for it not having been obvious, they couldn't put that conversation off for long.

And then there were their families.

How were they going to tell their parents? What would they say, how would they react? Would they expect the couple to be in either England or New Zealand for the birth? If all of these things were swirling in Claire's head, she could only begin to imagine what Caleb was thinking about.

Caleb's stuttered answer was heartfelt, and Claire lifted herself - maybe with a little more care than usual - from the couch, walking over to Caleb and fitting her body against his, her arms around his neck. "I'm shitting myself too," she admitted, resting her head on his chest. "But we'll get through this. We'll make it work. You are going to be an amazing father. I have every faith in you." So he hadn't answered the question she had asked, but that meant nothing for the moment. What mattered now was that they both felt at peace with having a child together, and Claire would do whatever it took to make Caleb feel better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb uncurled his arms and wrapped them around Claire stepped up close to him, he hadn't realised how cold he was until she stepped into him and he felt himself warm up slightly. He wanted to do nothing but hold her tightly, hug her till this situation made sense to them both, but he held back, he had to remember he wasn't just hugging Claire now. He was hugging their Bump as well, their Bump, it still sounded strange in his head to hear himself say them words and he wasn't sure how long it would be until he said them words out loud to Claire.

He swallowed thickly, as he rest his cheek against the top of her head, the day had been a tumultuous one, emotions he hadn't thought he was ever going to get to feel had just exploded from behind a wall he hadn't thought he had built. He found himself perching more on the table as he took some more of Claire's weight onto him, just relishing in holding her for the moment.

When Beckett had first told him that Claire had collapsed – or fainted as the doctor had put it – he had been so worried. He knew there were still parts of the city they hadn't explored and dangers not realised to them yet, so hearing them words had turned his stomach to lead. Had made his world stop and even as everything had been explained and he had found out she was carrying his child his world still hadn't started back up, for different reasons this time.

“Do you....do you want me to stop going off world?” he asked quietly, it was something that scared him the most, that Claire would ask him to stop doing the one thing that he loved doing whilst on Atlantis.

It was the one thing he wanted the answer to, but dreaded the answer as well, he knew that in the back of his mind the closer she got to having Bump he would stop going off world. He definitely did not want to miss the birth of his child, he would keep working on Atlantis.

He felt his stomach knot as he waited for Claire's answer, he had been asked to change once before, had been told that if he wanted to be with his Ex he had give up a large part of himself and he had denied that. He hadn't wanted to change such a significant part of himself, so he dreaded what her answer would be.

Caleb did however found himself chuckling very slightly, almost a hiccup of a laugh, when Claire admitted she was shit scared as well, “You keep saying am going to be amazing, but this one we can't give back,” he said, a slight smile in his voice now.

The more he stood there, the more he came to terms with what was happening, even as he glanced across at the jacket strewn on the back of the soft, the corner of the picture peeking out. There was a n extra one in his jacket for Claire that he hadn't passed on to her yet, he pushed her away slightly, a smile on his face.

“I have something to give you,” he said, as he pulled completely away from her.

Reaching into his pocket, he felt nervous she hadn't exactly said she wanted a picture of their child, he figured she was carrying Bump and would have everything that he couldn't in that moment. So yeah he felt nervous as he held out one of the pictures, the less crumpled one that hadn't been clutched tightly in his hands.

“That's yours,” he said almost shyly, “I mean I know you're carrying Bump, you'll get to feel everything, so I don't know if you even want the picture but....” he shrugged as he trailed off, feeling silly for holding out the photo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire breathed deeply as Caleb's arms wrapped around her, pulling her close, and she just let herself relax against him. This was what she had needed since finding out she was pregnant, and no doubt would need as the months progressed. While she was doing her best to project an air of calm, it wasn't necessarily what she felt inside.

She was smiling happily into Caleb's chest as he rested his cheek on the top of her head, but was then knocked sideways by an utterly unexpected question. "What," she asked, her voice surprised as she pulled back to look up at him. "Fuck, no, I would never ask you to stop going offworld! What the hell made you think I'd ever ask that??"

A massive part of Caleb was his adventuring spirit, and this job fed into that perfectly. He was at his happiest when offworld, exploring - that was truly when he was in his element. Without that part of him, he wouldn't be the man that Claire had fallen in love with. For him to think she might have wanted him to give that up... hell, his ex must have done a real number on him, in ways he hadn't admitted, even to her.

"I love you just the way you are, you know," she soothed giving him a small smile, even as she took his hand and placed it on her belly. "And so will this little one, whoever it turns out to be. It'll know its daddy is strong, and brave, and adventurous... just like I do." Claire stood on tiptoe, grazing a tender kiss across Caleb's lips. "I would never ask you to change a single thing about who you are." Hell, she had never even asked him to stop flirting with other women, but he seemed to have stopped anyway.

Claire laughed as Caleb said they couldn't give this kid back. "And I wouldn't want to," she grinned. "You know this is the biggest adventure we can ever have, don't you?" It was lifelong, something they couldn't back out of, a one way trip they would just have to hang onto and ride out.

She looked almost disappointed as he stepped away from her, going to grab his jacket from the back of the couch. "What are you up to," she asked, her eyes narrowing in suspicion. "I hope you didn't bring me something back from offworld?" She needn't have worried, and her jaw dropped as Caleb held out a picture. Tears spilled over again, and her hand shook as she took the photo. "You know, I still can't quite believe it," Claire said, her voice choked, as she once again slid an arm around Caleb's waist.

"And I promise, you'll get to feel plenty, too." The only way that they were going to get through this was as a family, and that meant making sure that Caleb felt included. "You know we're going to have to talk to Elizabeth Weir soon, right?" Just... not yet. Not that day. They needed this one day
to themselves to get used to the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb wasn't quite expecting the harsh reaction to his question, he had expected something just not something that harsh and he felt his breath catch. Even as he relaxed more, knowing she wouldn't ask that of him, wouldn't change that about him, he had grown from the charming, flirty bloke from the beginning of their relationship. Had even actually stopped flirting with woman, although that didn't mean he didn't often come home to Claire and tell her exactly who he had seen that day and just how long the legs went, it was a bit of a joke between them.

He closed his eyes briefly, “Because this is bigger than the two of us, because I was once asked to change completely and I walked away from that Claire.”

He didn't have to add that when he'd done that, when he'd walked away from his Ex it had broken him a lot, had left a gaping hole in his chest where she'd been and he had filled it with any woman that was willing to lay with him and he had enjoyed it. It had at the time filled the hole that had formed, he had filled it with a lot of sex basically and he had thought he was happy.

Until he had met Claire that was, until the hole that he thought was filled actually wasn't and as time went on he realised he wanted Claire in his life in more ways than one. Of course he had told her all about his Ex, hell she had met his parents who had done nothing but cursed his Ex's name whenever the subject came up. Which thankfully was not all that often.

“I won't walk away from you, ever, but if you asked I'd change,” he said, and knew he'd be so unhappy.

Caleb let his hand be taken and rested against the swell of her stomach, feeling himself take a breath as she reassured him even more. He felt himself go pink slightly as she said that she'd tell their child just how adventurous, brave and strong, especially considering in that moment he didn't actually feel any of them things.

He let himself lean into the kiss, hand rubbing small circles on her stomach as the other one rested against her face, he wanted nothing more than to take her to bed in that moment. To restore what had seemingly been lost between them in the last few hours, but he didn't, he resisted there would be time for that later.

“Thank you,” he whispered, pulling away from the kiss, resting his forehead against hers for a moment, “You're amazing, you know that right? I don't even know how I ended up with someone as amazing as you or why you even put up with me sometimes.”

It was true, he probably caused her more headaches at times than what any child of theirs was going to, he realised that at the end of the day Claire was going to be dealing with two children instead of just the one. Because he knew there was going to be mischief in his future with his child and that Claire wasn't going to be able to stand a chance.

“Well yeah we were gifted some of the Athosian wine,” he answered sheepishly, “I think Truman took my stash though, the bloke will be on worse missions possible if he doesn't' give it back.”

He Claire wouldn't be able to drink it, but that didn't mean he couldn't save it for them, for once Bump made an appearance in the world. He wondered vaguely what customs the Athosians actually had for pregnant women, once the news was out he had no doubt that their would be odd gifts at there door. He also briefly wondered how they would tell their child about the Wraith, about living in such a dangerous world, god he would do everything in his power to make sure that his child didn't see them monsters until they were old enough.

Reaching out a hand all on his own violation, he touched Claire's stomach, he didn't think he would ever get use to knowing that his child was growing in there, or that he ever wanted to actually stop touching her stomach. He had done that to her, he had managed to do what probably not other bloke had been able and that was to give her a child, he couldn't help the small amount of pride that went through him at that thought.

He brought up a hand to wipe the tears from her face again, “You keep crying sweetheart and you'll flood the city,” he teased gently. “I can't either, we managed the impossible....again. In the dictionary under the word impossible will just be a picture of your beautiful face.” He was being romantic, he knew, but she did that to him. She brought that side of him out.

Caleb let out a groan as Claire brought up him having to speak to Weir, it was never a good experience when he had to divulge personnel information, it was bad enough when they had to speak to her to get the shared quarters. Although he was really glad that had panned out well and he didn't think it interfered too much with there day to day jobs.

“Not yet,” he said quietly, “I don't think I could face telling anyone yet. Bump is ours,” he added, a slightly possessive note in his voice.

He pulled Claire in close again, as the nerves peeled away, he was calming down, well as calm as he was getting with standing this close to the woman he loved, who he hadn't actually seen in the last few days. When he had been travelling back to the Gate from the Athosian home world he had thought of how he'd like to the spend the night with her, but now, now that was completely out the window.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire's eyes shaded with sadness as Caleb told her that he had been asked to change before, and had walked away from Rachael for expecting that of him. She couldn't blame him, either. "I'm not Rachael," she said, her voice quiet and resolute. "I knew who you were when we got together. We'd been best friends for over a year. Why would I want you to change anything about who you are, e ipo?"

She traced gentle fingers along Caleb's cheekbone. "I'm looking forward to being able to tell our child how proud I am of you, and how can I do that if you change a single thing?" Claire had had reservations to begin with, especially the morning after their first night together, when she thought that Caleb had run out on her, but any doubts that she had had were swiftly dispelled by Caleb's actions. He had rapidly proved to her that he was committed to what they had, and there was no way that she would ever want to give that up now.

"Never change, e te tau, never change."

Caleb's response to the tender kiss stirred up desire in Claire, desire that had run away and hidden when he had initially reacted badly at the news of her pregnancy. She deepened the kiss a little, wanting to taste him, having been separated for a few days, but the kiss ended all too soon. She hoped that Caleb wasn't going to be one of those men who couldn't touch their partner when she was pregnant. She would go nuts if that was the case.

Caleb rested his forehead against hers, and Claire shook her head. "I'm not amazing," she replied, shrugging lightly. "I just know who you are, and love you anyway!" That, at least, was true. She knew all the quirks of Caleb's personality, and loved the man they fed into.

She laughed as Caleb admitted his gift of wine had been stolen. "I'm sure, if you ask Teyla nicely, she can get some more for you," she grinned. "I'm not sure I'm going to miss it, though." Just a couple of glasses, sometimes, meant that she ended up with a monster headache. It all seemed to depend on the batch it had come from, and Claire had long since decided that, most of the time, it wasn't worth the trouble.

Claire's heart swelled with pride as Caleb's hand found its way back to the soft curve of her belly, and she let her hand settle on top of his. This was it. Her family. She would protect these two people with her life, should it come to it, no questions asked. No matter what the Pegasus Galaxy threw at them, she would lay her life on the line to protect what they were building.

She couldn't help laughing as Caleb mentioned her tears. "Let the bloody thing flood," she giggled, brushing them away again, even as her eyes were drawn to the picture of their baby. It was perfect. Fingers, toes, eyes, nose, the curve of its ear, the slightly open lips. It was just perfect. Claire stood on tiptoe again and kissed Caleb softly again as he got romantic. Sometimes, no words were needed.

Claire smiled as Caleb seemed to share her opinion about not talking to Weir just yet. "Not today," she agreed, nestling into his arms again, letting herself just feel his body mould to hers. "Today, Bump is ours, nobody else's." They'd have to talk to her tomorrow, though. Claire's pregnant belly was far more obvious now that she knew she was expecting, and she marvelled at how either of them had missed it.

"Today, you are mine, and nobody else's, too," she murmured, the tone of her voice telling Caleb exactly what she wanted. "I missed you, e taku tahu."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:05 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb couldn't help the lump that formed at the back of his throat at Claire's words. Why had he even doubted her in the first place? He knew why, because he doubted himself, he hadn't known how to react to this kind of news. His parents had never exactly sat him down and talking him through his life choices, all they ever saw was their son getting broken down and then building a wall around himself and not letting anyone in. Not until Claire.

“I won't change, ever,” he said quietly.

Although he knew he would change in a way, but it would be a good kind of change, he'd maybe find himself being more responsible at times, but only time would tell that. No matter how proud she was of him in that moment, he was damn determined to make her even more proud of him, he might have come a long way since there first date and then their second disaster date. It was the least he could do, if she was going to be spending the next several months 'cooking' Bump.

Caleb felt Claire deepen the kiss, he wanted to let himself just tumble into bed with her, forget the whole day and just reconnect with her. But at that moment in time, he wasn't sure that would do either of them any good, they had to get use to being themselves again after the shock of earlier, but damn if he didn't want to just let go of his own inhibitions and throw caution to the wind. Although that was kind of how they'd gotten into this mess in the first place.

“I love you as well,” he replied softly, a small smile crossing his face. “Do you love me more than your sharp pointy objects?”

It was a good sign that he felt he could tease her a little, he wanted to joke around with her, tell a stupid story, explain what he'd done the past few days, including the fact he had taken point on that mission. Although not his first team he had lead, it still filled him with pride that he took a team somewhere, that they all got back safely and that they actually listened to him. He wanted to share that with Claire, because despite everything that had happened in the last few hours, he'd missed talking to her. There was only so many lewd jokes and comments he could stand to listen to on an away team before he just wasn't interested, not that he ever thought he would ever get to that point.

“Nah let Truman have it,” he said, a devilish smiling crossing his face, “Besides if he drinks it all Michaels is under orders to wake him up early....very early.”

Maybe it was cruel of him, but it was the only way he'd teach the Newbie to listen to them, he had heard the other members of his team talking that they were going to share the drinks. Caleb had warned them of the strength of the Athosian wine and well one hadn't believed him, so he figured he'd teach them a lesson.

“Besides we can get some Earth alcohol to wet Bumps head when they finish cooking. Rum maybe?” he asked, he didn't' actually know if Claire had any traditions she wanted to for Bump. It was going to be something they would have to discuss further down the line, when they were less shell shocked.

Caleb wasn't sure how long he stood there his hand resting on the curve of her stomach, damn why hadn't he even noticed the difference in Claire's body? He had mapped her body enough times, known every little thing that would cause her to say his name in exactly the way he wanted her to, so why had he not noticed? Maybe he hadn't wanted to see it, or maybe they hadn't taken enough time to actually look after themselves, they were always so busy they never took five minutes.

He let Claire find her way back into his arms, exactly where he wanted her, ever since finding out about Bump he didn't want to stop touching her, he found himself wanting to explore her body again. Nothing have changed, but everything had in every possible way and damn if he didn't want to get his hands on her. It was like being a teenager again and he felt a shiver run through him as Claire all but proclaimed he was hers. He had no problem what so ever being hers, he could listen to her saying that all the time.

He pushed himself away from the table a bit, standing up straighter, a hand going to back of her head as he pulled her into a deep kiss. One that held the promise of so much more, one that told her everything he couldn't say to her but felt deep in his heart, the other hand trailed from her stomach to the top of her hip his fingers finding the hem of her scrub top, pushing it up to expose skin. He traced small circular patters on her skin, as he ended the kiss, “You're mine as well,” he said quietly.